There is no specific reason which could specify why a printer is showing the Error State Issue message. Sometimes the printer indicates the error, but sometimes it doesn’t. However, every time the printer shows an error state message, it needs immediate attention and should be resolved right away.
To know about the Printer Error State Issue go through this complete guide.
But before going further, please note that this guide tells the troubleshooting of Printer State Error for the Windows 10 operating system.
Firstly, check if there is any connection issue with the printer
The foremost step is to check if there is not an issue with the printer’s connection, to resolve the printer error issue. First, ensure that your printer is aptly connected to your computer or any other device that you are trying to print from. If there is indeed a connection issue with the printer, then the error will occur.
If the printer is connected to the computer through a wire, then please check that the wire is also working well.
After checking the computer and printer connection, turn off both the devices for a while. Then again, turn on both the devices to check if the error is still occurring or not.
Try the Printer Troubleshooting
If you have the Windows 10 OS on your device, then it comes with an inbuilt printer troubleshooter. This printer troubleshooter automatically detects and fixes printer issues. But you have to enable this feature on your device.
Follow these steps to run the printer troubleshooter:
- Press the Windows button along with the I key on your keyboard. It will open the settings tab.
- Then go to the Update & Security
- In this tab, click on the Troubleshoot button, which you will find on the left side of your screen.
- Then select the option Run the troubleshooter, which you will find in the Printer
- After performing these steps, the printer will automatically detect and fix the issue.
- Ensure that you restart your computer once the troubleshooting is complete.
You can try changing the Port Settings
Sometimes the printer error occurs due to some wrong Ports Settings. Thus you can try changing the Port settings. Follow these steps to change the port settings:
- Firstly, press the Windows along with the R key on your keyboard. This will open the Run dialog box.
- Type and search for MSC in the Run dialog box.
- Then open the Device Manager tab, and select the View option from the top menu button.
- In the View tab, you will see a Show hidden devices Click on this button.
- Then right-click on the Ports (COM & LPT), and then open its
- In the Properties window, open the Port Settings.
- Here, click on the option saying Use any interrupt assigned to the port.
- Also, mark the checkbox next to the option Enable legacy Plug and Play detection.
- And lastly, press the Ok button and then restart the computer.
Check if the printer is online or not
Follow these steps to check if the printer is online or not:
- Firstly, open the Windows Search box, then find the Control Panel in it.
- Now open the Control Panel.
- From the control panel tab, open the Devices and Printers Then select your connected printer in it.
- Now here, if the status of your printer is Offline, right-click on the Status button and choose the Use Printer Online
- Once the printer is Online, the printer status will appear as
Now check if the Printer Error Message is still occurring or not.
Make sure that your printer is in the Default Printer Mode
If the Printer in the Error State message is persistent, then check if your printer is in a default mode or not. And if it is not in a default mode, bring it to the default mode. This might resolve the printer issue.
Follow these steps to check and bring your printer to the default mode:
- Firstly, press the Windows button along with the R button on your keyboard. It will open the Run dialog box of the printer.
- Now search for the Control Panel in the search columns of the Run dialog box.
- Once it opens the Control Panel, select the Devices and Printers
- Now right-click on your printer from the list of printers and select the Set as default printer option from the menu list.
- Once you select your printer as the default printer, a green tick mark will appear on your printer icon. This green tick will confirm that your printer has been set as the default printer.
Try to Update or Reinstall the Printer’s Driver
The Printer error can also occur due to an outdated Printer driver or Printer driver issues. So please check that your Printer drivers are updated. Follow these steps to update the printer drivers of your printer:
- Firstly, open the Device Manager tab of your computer.
- From the Device Manager tab, select the option Print queues. This will expand the section.
- Then right-click on your printer and click on the Update driver option from the menu bar.
- Lastly, select the Search automatically for updated driver software And then follow the provided instructions to update the printer drivers further.
After installing the updates, check if the printer error is still occurring or not. If the issue is still occurring, try to uninstall and then reinstall the printer driver.
To reinstall the printer drivers, you need to do the following:
- Firstly, open the Device Manager option and then select the Print queues
- Then right-click on your printer and click on the option Uninstall device.
- And lastly, restart the computer, following which the Windows will install the printer driver automatically.
Try setting the Printer’s Spooler service to Automatic
Follow these steps to set the Printer’s Spooler services to Automatic:
- So, firstly press the Windows button along with the R button on your keyboard to open the Run dialog
- Then search for MSC through the column of the Run box. This will open the Service tab.
- Then select the Print Spooler Service from the Service tab and check that it’s in the Start
- Right-click on the Print Spooler option, and then select the Properties
- Now open the General tab in the Properties window, and select Automatic in the column next to Startup type.
- Then tap the Apply and then the Ok button to apply the changes.
- Lastly, restart your computer.
Now again, check if the Printer Error issue is resolved or not. And if not, then follow the instructions in the following section.
Delete the Printer Spooler Files
Many of the times, the Printer in error state issue occurs due to Printer Spooler files. Follow these steps to delete such files:
- Firstly, open the Files Explorer tab of your computer.
- Then navigator through the following path:
- Now you will see the list of Spooler files in the Printer Here you have to delete all these files.
- To delete these files, firstly select all the files, then right-click on any of the files, and then select the Delete button from the menu.
- Then come back to the File Explorer tab, and navigate towards this location:
- Now delete all the files of the W32X86
- Then go to the Services window and select the option Print Spooler service.
- Lastly, click on the Restart option to restart the service.
Lastly, update the Windows 10 of your Computer
Follow these steps to check if there is any update and to update the Windows 10 of your computer:
- So, click on the Windows Start button first, and then tap on the Settings icon.
- Now open the Windows Settings tab, and select the Update and Security
- Then click on the Windows Update button, which you will find on the left side of the screen.
- Once the Windows Update tab opens, select the Check for updates option under the Update Status
- Now the system will check if there are any latest pending updates, and then it will automatically install the updates.
- Once the system installs the updates, reboot your computer and check if the printer issue is resolved or not.